Configuring Basic Network Wan
-Mode Network WLAN
Wireless Local Area Network is actually almost the same as the LAN network, but each node on the WLAN using a wireless device to connect ith network. nodes in the WLAN using the same frequency channel and SSID that shows the identity of the wireless device.
Unlike wired networks, wireless networks have two modes that can be used: infrastructure and Ad-Hoc.Configuration is a communication infrastructure between each PC with a WLAN access point or LAN.
Communications Ad-Hoc is a direct communication between each computer using wireless devices. The use of these two modes depending on the requirement to share data or other needs with the wired network.
A. Ad-Hoc Mode
Ad-Hoc mode WLAN network is very simple, because the ad-hoc does not require an access point for the hosts can interact with each other. Each host has enough wireless transmitter and receiver to communicate directly with each other as shown in figure 1. The drawback of this mode is the computer can not communicate with computers on a wired network. In addition, the coverage area in this mode is limited to the distance between the two computers.
B. Infrastructure Mode
If the computer on the wireless network to access the wired network or shared printer, for example, the wireless network must use the infrastructure mode.
In infrastructure mode access point function to serve the primary communication on wireless networks. The access point transmits the data to the PC with a specific range in an area. Additions and layout settings access point can extend the range of the WLAN.
a. WLAN Components
There are four main components in WLAN, namely:
- 1. Access Point, a device that becomes the central connection of the user (users) to the ISP, or from branch offices to the central office if the network is owned by a company. Access-Point function to convert the radio frequency (RF) signals into digital signals to be routed through the cable, or distributed to any other WLAN device to re-converted into radio frequency signals.
- 2.Wireless LAN Interface, is the equipment installed in the Mobile / Desktop PC, equipment developed mass is in the form of PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association) card, PCI card or via USB (Universal Serial Bus).
- 3. Mobile / Desktop PC, an access device for the user, the mobile PC is generally mounted PCMCIA port to be added while the desktop PC wireless adapter with PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) card or USB (Universal Serial Bus).
- 4. External antenna (optional) is used to amplify the transmit power. This antenna can be assembled by the user. example: antenna.
- Relatively the Access-Point is able to accommodate a few to hundreds of users simultaneously. Some vendors only recommend a dozen to about 40 of the users to the Access Point. Although in theory this device can accommodate a lot but it will happen because of the declining performance RF signal itself and the strength of the Access Point operating system.
- Logic component of the Access Point is an ESSID (Extended Service Set Identification) is the standard of IEEE 802.11. Users must connect the wireless adapter to the Access Point with specific SSIDs so that data transfer can occur. ESSID become standard authentication in wireless communications. In terms of security of some specific vendors to make certain key authentication to authenticate from the client to the Access Point.
- Fragility of the security aspect makes issuing standardized IEEE Wireless encryption protocol (WEP), an existing application in any PCMCIA card. Serves WEP encrypts data before it is transferred to the radio signal requency (RF), and to decrypt the data back from the RF signal.
To communicate 2 computers or more in infrastructure mode, all computers will be connected to the wireless network must have a wireless
adapter or laptop has Wi-Fi and Access Point. Here are step-by-step installation and configuration:
Access Point Configuration 11.4.1
In this section will describe the installation of the access point.
steps - steps are as follows:
- Place the Access Point at the optimum point, usually located in the midst and the line of sight with PCs and wireless accessories (adapter and router).
- Place the antenna in a position where the antenna capable wireless network mengover well. Normally, the best performance is the antenna located on a higher ground.
- Connect the AC power adapter into a power socket Access Point
- Connect the straight end of the UTP cable to the Access Point and the other end of the cable to the switch.
- Klik Start, Connect To, lalu pilih Show All Connection pada komputer.
- Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Status
- Click Properties in the Local Area Connection Status, then click Properties on the Internet Protocol TCP / IP.
- Setting your computer's IP address with the IP 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and default gateway is 192.168.1.1
- Open net browser (Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla) and make sure your browser's proxy in the empty net.
- Type 192.168.1.1 in the browser's Address field net. 192.168.1.1 is the default IP address of the Access Point is Linksys.
- Type admin in the username and the password (the default username and password Access Point Linksys is admin)
- Settings tab setup like this was taken:
- Internet Connection type : Automatic Configuration – DHCP
- Optional Setting
- Router Name : WRT54G (default)
- Host Name : (kosong)
- Domain Name : (kosong)
- MTU : Auto (default)
- Router IP :
- Local IP Address : 192.168.1.1 (default)
- Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
- Network Address Server Setting
- DHCP Server : Enable (Access Point memberikan alamat IP pada masing-masing Host secara otomatis)
- Starting IP Address : 192.168.1.100 (IP yang akan diberikan imulai dari 192.168.1.100)
- Maximum Number : 50 (Jumlah host yang akan diberikan alamat IP of DHCP User oleh akses point dibatasi hanya 50 host)
- Client Lease Time : 0 (default)
- Static DNS 1,2,3 : 0.0.0.0 (default)
- WINS : 0.0.0.0 (default)
- Time Setting
- Time Zone : (GMT+07.00 Thailand, Rusia)
- Klik Save Settings
13. Klik Tab Wireless, lalu konfigurasi seperti berikut :
- Wireless Network Mode : Mixed (default Access Point yang akan support pada standard 802.11b dan 82.11g)
- Wireless Network Name : Lab Wireless (Nama Access Point yang akan SSID) terdeteksi di jaringan wireless )
- Wireless Channel : 6-2.437 GHz (default kanal yang digunakan)
- Wireless SSID Broadcast : Enabled (SSID akan dibroadcast ke jaringan wireless)
14. Klik Save Settings
4.1.2 Konfigurasi Client
Hubungkan kabel USB pada port USB adapter, lalu hubungkan kabel USB pada port USB komputer.
- Windows XP will automatically detect the adapter. Insert the CD-ROM setup on the CD-ROM drive. Then setup wizzard will automatically appear if not, manually run setup.exe from the driver)
- Click on the next button after selecting Install
- On the license agreement click Next.
- Once this stage is completed the installation window will appear Creating a Profile and wireless adapters will automatically search for signals around the active.
- Click Lab Wireless SSID and click Connect. So Usb Wireless Adapter will erhubung with Wireless Access Point Lab. pabila want to use the Wireless Network Connection in Windows, then we flow to disable the Linksys Network Monitor first.
- Right click on the Linksys Network Monitor, and then click Use Windows XP Wireless Configuration
- Klik kanan pada icon Network Wireless Connection pada taskbar, lalu pilih view Available Wireless Networks.
- Click Lab Wireless SSID and click Connect. So Usb Wireless Adapter will connect with Access Point Wireless Lab.
- Ad-Hoc Mode
- In Ad-Hoc mode, to interact with other computers, all computers will be connected must have a wireless adapter or laptop has Wi-Fi. One of the computers used in this mode SSID Broadcaster.
- Enable Wireless adapter each - each computer to be connected to the network
- Right-click on the Wireless Network Connection icon in the taskbar and select View Available Wireless Networks, it would appear.
- Klik Change the order preferred Network
- Click Add in the Preferred Network column, then type the name Network to be used in the Network Name.Consider figure 19. example broadcasternya SSID name is Ad Hoc.
- Click Ok
- Back on the status of the picture 18 Click refresh network list it would appear ad-hoc connection with the Ad Hoc SSID name.
- Then select Change advanced settings option on the left. Click 2 times on option protoco internet (TCP / IP)
- Then the settings on each computer with a different IP address to 192.168.1.xxx the xxx is the rule according to the number expected in the range 1s / d 254. eg (192.168.1.65)
- specify the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to form a local network. clear gateawaynya
- click ok for verification.
- Test the connection with the PING command at the command prompt, when the computer is connected to the computer is ready to communicate in Ad-Hoc networks are Pear to